Monday 12 September 2011

How I Love Waking Up to a Nice Glass of Vino!


Well, the weather may not have been so great...but at least the wine was!  My latest adventure here in OZ, was a school trip, to go wine tasting in the Yarra Valley.  Yep, Deakin University is the BEST university.  Not only do we have a bar in the middle of campus, they also take you on extremely discounted wine tours.  Only in Australia, it really is the best!





Me and a few other gals signed up for this wine tour, and had a wonderful day.  Unfortunately, we have been experiencing a very weird cold front in Melbourne.  It has been absolutely gorgeous for the past few weeks, but the last couple of days have been unusually cold and rainy.  Nothing could bring down our spirits though, and the wine kept up warm!  We visited three different winery's, all of which were very nice, but I enjoyed the last one the best.  It was the Yering Station winery, which had a very artsy feel.  There was a modern restaurant on site, and the view was amazing.  The other winery's were nice as well, and they taught us a lot about how wine is made, and the correct way to taste it.





We tasted, and drank, a wide variety of wines.  I enjoyed all of them, except for one, which left a buttery aftertaste...weird I know.  There were a lot of sparkling wines, which were delish.  Fun fact, the bubbles in champagne and sparkling wine are created after the wine is created, and thus, it takes much longer for sparkling wines to be put on shelves for sale.  They were all superb and well worth the wait.  Also, it is best to pick the grapes, used to make wine, in Autumn during the nighttime.  During the nighttime, the skins on the grapes become tougher, making it harder for moisture to escape, and the grape's sugar is at a normal level. This trip was so educational...I can't wait to take more like it!




One of the most important things I learned, I can best describe by comparing fine wine to good Italian food.  I've learned from my mother, to make delicious Italian grub, you must go back to how it was originally done.  Taking shortcuts doesn't do you any good, because the end result is never as tastey as it would have been if you were to do it right the first time.  Fine wine is the same way, you must go back to the basics in order to achieve a superior result.  

I hope to go to Napa Valley as soon as I can, when I get back to the States!  Until then, happy drinking everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment