Friday 29 July 2011

A Visit to the Melbourne Zoo!


Today I went to the Melbourne Zoo!  It was fantastic!  Deakin University, the uni I attend here in Oz, is phenomenal.  They have so many activities for exchange students, and everyone is so nice!  We took public transportation (which is extremely common here, and they are even considering a carbon tax, to reduce the pollution) but anyways, we took a tram and then a train to get to the zoo, and it was extremely convenient.  




It was a gorgeous day, I'd say about 16-17 degrees celsius, and for all of my fellow Americans, that means it is in the 60's.  Not bad, considering it is winter here! To veer off topic a bit, pretty much everything is different in the States than anywhere else.  We use fahrenheit, while most everywhere else uses celsius.  We use feet, yards, ect., and the majority of other countries use kilometers, meters, ect. I feel like I am gaining a lot of knowledge on these little things!  Anyway, back to the zoo. It was sunny, and a perfect day to kick back with nature and the beautiful animals!  The zoo had pretty much every type of animal imaginable.  It was extremely nice, and well kept.  There were lots of activities to see and do, such as feeding the animals, information sessions, and even going in and petting/holding some animals.  And, of course, it was great to go to a zoo here in Aussie Land, because there are different animals here, than in the States!



Alright, alright.  I know you all want to know...and the answer is YES, I did get to play with Kangaroos.  They are incredibly cute, and much softer than I expected.  I even got to see a baby Joey kangaroo pop out of his momma's pouch!  It was the best.  Playing with the kangaroos made my day...but really, who could have a bad day when you get to be in Australia, at the zoo, chillin' with kangies!?



There were so many different types of animals, as I said before!  One of my personal favorites was the brown bear, but in all honesty, it was more of a tan bear.  Never-the-less, I wanted to jump up to him, and cuddle with him!  He was just too cute.  My friends Sarah and Lucy were into the Meerkats, and got to go in and hold some of them.  They are really funny animals!  There was so much to see on this beautiful day, that I really can't describe it all.  The pictures can explain more than I can write...So please enjoy!  And, if you ever get the chance to get down here to Melbourne, I'd most definitely recommend you stop by the zoo, and get your Kangaroo on!!


Cheers!

1 comment: